SAQA IL/WI

Studio Art Quilt Associates

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pat Bishop

Pat Bishop – Fiber Rich Art – Soul Nutritious

Artist Statement - July 2010

Textiles provide a unique vehicle of interpretation with their tactile nature, vibrant color and endless variety. Instead of paint, I select fabrics to get the desired effect. The happy accidents of working in this medium give results that can be challenging and pleasingly unpredictable. I love the feel, texture, depth of color, even the smell of fabrics and the ability to lose myself in the whirr of the sewing machine.

Using cloth slows the process, which gives me the time I need to make decisions about what to do next. Although I have not had formal art training I have always had a huge interest in art and have taught myself or taken classes in different avenues of the art world. I believe it was a natural progression for me due to my history of sewing and traditional quilting to progress into creating my art with cloth. I am inspired by simplicity, the ability to achieve representation in the simplest form possible and also by artists who have done their own thing without concern for the opinions of others.

My work has evolved from traditional to realistic to abstract. In my abstract work, simplicity is used to achieve my goal. Abstract gives me freedom to manipulate components of the composition to express my own impression and representation. I am very inspired by nature, some of the best times of my life have been in nature, enjoying the birds, animals and all living things in the quiet of the woods, fields and waters. Being able to use my art to represent what I see and feel gives me the greatest satisfaction.

clip_image002

Walk of the Cranes” won first place in the 2010 Secura Fine Art Show, Appleton, WI. This is the second time in the past three years that one of my pieces has won first place in the Secura Fine Art Show. I am very please and proud to have been asked to exhibit in my first solo show through the Appleton Art Center at the Gallery of American National Bank, Fox Cities. Everyone is invited to the reception July 22, 2010, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., 2200 N. Richmond Street, Appleton, WI 54911

Walk of the Cranes was inspired from a photo I took five years ago. Each morning this family of cranes would cross the yard on their search for breakfast, Mom in the lead, making sure Dad and kids are following along. (40 x 30)

View of Vernazza was taken from a photo taken by my nephew and his wife on their honeymoon a few years ago. I was inspired by the colorful buildings and thought it might make an interesting piece. (40 x 30)

clip_image004

She #5 is part of a series I am still pursuing. I’ve enjoyed the piecing process in a simple basic method, where things aren’t measured but “eye-balled”. Its those happy accidents that keep it exciting. I’ve taken classes from some wonderful people, one being Cynthia Corbin. She inspired me to work in this method, and I really enjoy it. She #3 is now on tour with Lois Jarvis’s Rust-Tex Collection. The whole Rust-Tex Collection can be seen at the Midwest Fiber and Folk Art Fair July 16-18, 2010 at the Lake County Fairgrounds in Grayslake, IL. Check out their website: http://www.fiberandfolk.com

Future events where the RTC can be seen in person are at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham, England Aug 20-23, 2010, the AQS shows in Des Moines, IA October 6-9, 2010, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, March 16-19, 2011 and to Australia in June of 2011.

Please check out my website and blog to see more of my work.

Thank you,

Pat Bishop

Appleton, WI

patbishop@new.rr.com

http://www.patbishop.info

http://www.patbishop.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself, Pat. A very interesting writeup and your progression as an artist has been wonderful to follow. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jean,

    I seem to be running along trying to keep up with myself these days, its all good though!!!

    ReplyDelete