SAQA IL/WI

Studio Art Quilt Associates

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Jean Judd

What influences my art?


By Jean Judd

I’m not sure that my likes or dislikes in design or art influences what I create for my own textile artwork. As I was working at my sewing machine last week, the thought of what else to write for a last guest blog entry struck me and this topic came to mind. As I continued sewing for the next 2 hours, I jotted down the following “things” that popped into my head. These appeal to me and draw me in.

Duesenberg, Auburn, and Packard vehicles from the 1910s to 1930s – the elite cars for elite people and designed with style and sophistication in mind.

Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie Style homes (especially the glass windows he used and the wood), Tiffany stained glass (I really enjoy the permanent Stained Glass exhibit on Navy Pier in Chicago).

I enjoy the optical designs of M.C. Escher and think how wonderful some of them would be translated into fabric (mostly stitching lines I think).

When I was in Europe in 2008, the OLD architecture just blew me away. I could have spent hours just looking at the cathedral in Cologne, Germany; an absolute masterpiece in craftsmanship, design, and grandeur for sure. I also loved all the churches and old castles that we toured even with the 2 or 3 hour walks to get to some of them. Loved the high ceilings and potential for design walls and the tapestries covering some of those walls were just spectacular.

Mosaics, tile work, Oriental wood cuts, architecture, and drawings also appeal to me. The flow and discoveries to be found intrigue me. I think the attraction to simplicity and Oriental art in general comes from the 5 years we lived in Japan in the 1980s BQ (Before Quilting).

After an all too brief of a tour of the Louvre in Paris (only 3 hours), I found myself attracted to the Old World Masters in sculpture and paintings – DaVinci, Monet, Delacroix to name a few. Also set me up for having to go back to visit again.

As I reread what I have written, most of my influences come from history and old art. I readily admit that when I have been at the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) in NYC, that some of it I just didn’t get how it was/is art. The pie plate nailed to the wall, the flattened Wheaties box layered over cardboard boxes and then nailed to the wall.

I look forward to reading other IL/WI members blog entries and seeing their work, thoughts, and influences. Thanks for your time and see you along the path on this journey we are all on – following our own muse and forging our own path to our vision of success.

1 comment:

  1. Jean,
    I agree. The mosaics and tile work I saw in the Bristol Cathedral in the UK were amazing. I can see how that would inspire art quilts. I think Christine Porter has a book based upon mosaics found in different churches in Europe.

    ReplyDelete